SIE2016 - EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION - "

 05/12/20 CRITICAL REFLCTION - DENNNIS


Thoughts and views SIE2016 - DENNIS

"What we have a English language module? what is it for? we are engineers, we do not need to learn how to write essays or reports!" This was my exact thoughts when I finally learned what SIE2016 module was all about.  I never once envisioned myself completing this module as a more confident man, a man who is confident in communicating and writing to others.


The very first class we attended was this module, I remember everyone standing awkwardly outside, some were using their phones, some were just staring into blank space. Then come Professor Blackstone. He laughed because the door was open and no one dared to go in, and i thought "here we go". He forced us to be up on our legs to walk around class to break the ice, and that was the moment I knew this class is special.


Every exercise aims to help us learn the correct way or method to writing and pitching, Professor Blackstone adds in his bit by letting have many discussion and peer evaluation which made me learnt he importance of peer evaluation. Each report we wrote are evaluated by at least three classmates and of cause Professor Blackstone, he gives a very detailed evaluation, pointing out each mistakes and letting us know how we can correct it. I dare to say that i am a more cautious writer now, before writing any essays I will always make it a point to properly read through each line and make sure that things like grammar or sentence structure is correct.


This module helps me learn that I am actually a natural speaker, definitely not the best but decent. Speaking in front of class in multiple occasion was  nerve wrecking but somehow I love that . Speaking in front of my class is really like telling them about something that I am passionate about, about something which i believe will work and that's how I managed to enjoy presentations in class. 


My goal for this module was just to be a better writer and improve on my English language. Funny thing was those were not the main things I took away from this module, after this module, I am a more confident man and I also  learnt the importance of team work. From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank Professor Blackstone for opening my eyes to new possibilities and for allowing to explore another side of me, the confident team player who is ready for more to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16/9/20 ASSIGNMENT 1, SUBMISSION 1 - A LETTER TO PROFESSOR BLACKSTONE

15/11/20 - ANNOTATED SUMMARY (FIRST DRAFT)

“While all engineers should have good communication skills, global engineers face additional challenges, making effective communication an imperative.” Debra Kraft, Careers Content Writer, Demand Media (2016)